Thursday, April 11, 2019

Felting Mulberry Paper samples, Part 1

Post the Fiona Duthie workshop (Fibre, Paper, Ink: Illuminated), which I attended in Dunolly, I attempted to purchase Hanji overseas but when I realized it would cost over $70 US for a few sheets of paper to be freighted, I decided to look for local suppliers of mulberry papers. 

Neil Wallace Printmaking Supplies and Melbourne Etching Supplies were my first stop. Well, Neil’s first, and was told that the two shops had merged. Melbourne Etching Supplies (MES) has the better supply of Mulberry paper, I was informed. I sourced a Mulberry Tissue (Code P339-09111), which is an archival restoration paper, but which can also be used for print making. This is available in 10 gsm, 25 gsm and 30 gsm. I purchased it in 30 gsm as it was closest to the weight (35 gsm) of the paper we used in the workshop. 

Fiona Duthie had mentioned Dairing as a possible source of paper and when I contacted Stephen, he sent me several small samples of Mulberry papers made in Thailand.  

Following Fiona’s instructions, I felted all papers by hand, and using 23 micron merino wool. I didn’t want to introduce another unknown by way of using the Gentle Roller (something Philip has taught me). The papers were enough unknown materials. Happily, all papers felted well. Stephen had marked his papers in biro (which I went over with a fine Sharpie pen), and as you can see the marks didn’t fade too much during felting. 



Random papers from Dairing

Random piece - PW-2

Random piece PW-1

Very fine tissue, almost disappeared into merino

MES Mulberry Tissue 30 gsm

Rougher random Mulberry PB-1

Rougher random piece PB-2

No comments:

Post a Comment